Friday, December 28, 2012

"Treat Yo Self"


As mentioned in my previous post, the last couple of weeks, maybe even the last couple of months, have been really trying for me. I feel as if I have let a lot of things go, and essentially, I spend my time working and sleeping because I am so tired from working. A few weeks ago, I decided that I would treat myself to a few spa-like things over this break - hair cut, facial, and massage. When I booked these appointments, I remembered a Parks & Recreation episode that I saw last year where Tom (Aziz Ansari) and Retta (Donna Meagle) talk about how they have one day a year called, "Treat Yo Self." Well, I have spread these treatments over the course of three days. I didn't want to overload myself all at once - treat myself for three different days. Yesterday, I got a haircut, desperately needed one. Today, I have a facial, and tomorrow, I am getting a mud wrap and back massage. I wouldn't typically get a massage, but the place I found has a great deal.

When it comes to these spa services, I think there are few things that I want to consider when I am receiving a service. I am not quite sure what my priorities are as a consumer with these services. Also, I am definitely not going to write off - hair cuts, facials, massages, because they are great "pick-me-ups". Plus, the last time I had a hair cut was probably nine months ago (yikes), a facial and a massage probably two years ago. However, as a consumer, I think I can make conscious decisions where I go. For my haircut, I just went to the place I usually go that is close by. However, it is an Aveda sponsored salon. When I call to make an appointment, I get redirected to some place in Wisconsin. So, eventually, by my next haircut in three months, I will have found a local hair salon. With the other two places, I found local businesses, highly rated on Yelp, that do not have any corporate affiliation, essentially small businesses. In my experience, the quality of service is better at these places. I might not be able to get everything done at one place, but I would rather go to a place where the people specialize in that service than be okay at a bunch of little things. Thoughts? 

Here's the Parks & Recreation video clip:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...