Monday, March 4, 2013

Broccoli & Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms


To fellow food lovers – Mark Twain once said, “Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.” My goal is to teach others the beauty and simplicity of cooking healthy, delicious food…mindful of cost, of course. From garden & grocery to stockpot, I think and breathe “I-can’t-wait-to-eat-that food! I want to share my passion with others and inspire them to cook and bake with vegetables and fruits. I always strive to promote healthy eating (with everything else in moderation), and I preach, “vegetables, vegetables, vegetables!”

While I can use fresh produce from my garden or my local farmer’s market in summer/fall, winter and early spring are always a challenge for fresh, local food in southeastern Wisconsin. I try to focus my meals on fruits and vegetables that are in season in the greater US during these months. So, you will see many recipes with a focus on seasonal produce in the up-coming months.


Broccoli & Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms (8 servings)




Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of cooked quinoa
  • 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
  • 2 medium garlic cloves
  • ½ cup parsley
  • ¼ cup parmesan cheese (extra for garnish, if desired)
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • ½ cup vegetable stock
  • 8 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
  • ½ cup feta cheese


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut steamed broccoli florets into small ½-inch pieces. Mix half of the broccoli pieces with prepared quinoa.  Set aside.
  • In a food processor, blend remaining broccoli, parsley, garlic, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, and vegetable stock to make a ‘pesto’. Add ‘pesto’ mixture to broccoli and quinoa. Mix well.
  • Stuff mushrooms with a hearty amount of the quinoa mixture. Top each mushroom with feta cheese.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Use extra parsley for garnish, if desired. 

2 comments :

  1. This is nice! I will prepare quinoa for the forst time today and it's interesting to see other recipes, Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! How'd the quinoa work out for you? Any tips on improving the recipe?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...