Wednesday, March 6, 2013

let your work be an extension of who you are


The first Wednesday of each month I will review a documentary pertaining to Art & Design. I have watched several documentaries that have sparked an exploration into various fields that I had previously known little about. I’m hoping that my reviews will initiate an interest for you to explore different artists, styles, mediums, or trends.

This past month I watched the 2011 documentary film, Eames: The Architect and the Painter, about American designers Charles Eames and Ray Eames. The film chronicles the accomplishments of this husband - wife team and touches on iconic designs that have molded what we know of today as classic Mid-Century pieces. This dynamic duo joined forces to create affordable, high-quality chairs for the average person. They experimented primarily with molded plywood, fiberglass, welded wire mesh, and cast aluminum, inexpensive and abundant materials. Their success is witnessed in chairs, such as the Eames Lounge Chair, the Aluminum Chair, and Eames Wire Chairs. Through joined forces, the Eames’ popularized functionality and aesthetics in each next best example of the ideal chair.

The take-away point from this documentary is parallel to my intention for this blog – whatever the medium; let your work be an extension of who you are and benefits are sure to follow. I am continuously exploring ways to become more environmentally conscious as I immerse myself in the world of antiques, fine art, and design. Though I am yet to find the most efficient means of furnishing my garden apartment, I am on a continuous search for affordable, environmentally friendly ways to become one step closer to living a more conscious and responsible life. For more information check out this site

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...