Monday, June 24, 2013

The SNAP/Food Stamp Challenge

The SNAP Challenge gives participants a view of the struggle to obtain adequate food that is faced by millions of low-income Americans. For one week, participants take the challenge to live on about $4 per day worth of food – the average food stamp benefit. On June 17, I participated in the SNAP/Food Stamp Challenge to shop for food choices on a limited budget, learn how difficult it is to avoid hunger, and afford nutrition foods and stay healthy.
To make my dollars stretch, I created my own concoction for dinner: Cajun Shrimp and Green Bean Sauté. I was able to stay within my budget, while feeding three others. Hence, if I did not have a garden (which really stretched my dollars) and could only feed myself, I would have had difficulty preparing recipes just for one. You could eat the same dinner four nights of the week, and if you like a little kick to your meals, you will be more than willing to eat leftovers!
Cajun Shrimp and Green Bean Sauté (4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups green beans, trimmed ($.42)
  • 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil, divided ($.35)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped ($.33)
  • 2 tsp salt-free Cajun spice (or Southwest) ($.04)
  • ½ lb medium cooked shrimp ($2.50)
  • ½ cup rainbow chard, finely chopped (from my garden - $.05 for seed) (try chopped parsley if you do not have rainbow chard inexpensively available)
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste ($.01)
  • 1 cup brown rice, cooked ($.66)


Total Cost of recipe/4 servings:  $1.11

Directions:

  1. Heat 1 ½ tsp olive oil in a medium skillet. Add green beans with 1/8 cup water. Sauté until tender-crisp, about 4-6 minutes.

  1. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and Cajun seasoning, stirring constantly until onions soften (about 3 minutes). Add shrimp.

  1. Add rainbow chard. Stir occasionally until heated through, about 2 minutes.

  1. Place beans over cooked brown rice. Top beans with shrimp mixture and freshly ground pepper.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...