Monday, February 18, 2013

MM: Horchata

When I see or eat something that seems delicious, I want try to make it at home. This weekend was a perfect example - we ordered takeout Mexican, in particular, a 32 oz. of horchata. Between the man and I, it wasn't enough. Could I make it? A few Google searches later, I found a recipe and went out Sunday morning to get the missing ingredients. Horchata is Mexican rice drink with sugar, cinnamon, almonds, and/or vanilla. If you haven't had it before, you need to get. It is heaven. It is also extremely easy to make at home (somewhat long process). I made about two quarts around 11am, they were gone by 6pm (I only had one glass, someone else had the rest).


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rice
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2/3 cup vegan white sugar
  • 2 cups rice milk (I used vanilla rice milk to enhance flavor)
Steps:
  1. Mix the rice and water, let it stand for about an hour to two hours.
  2. In a blender, mix water and rice for a minute until you get a find pulp.
  3. Strain the rice chunks out of the water.
  4. Add the vanilla, sugar, rice milk, and cinnamon into the rice water.
  5. Chill for 30-45 minutes.
  6. Stir and serve. 



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...