Thursday, February 7, 2013

Teach me how to age, Patrick Stewart


This post definitely is inspired by two things - healthy living and my recent interest in watching Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. The latter first. Yes, I have been watching Star Trek, and yes, I have finished the entire 20+ episode first season. So, yes, when I say I'm watching it, I am WATCHING IT! Let's face it, other than a 30-minute episode of Girls, there's really nothing I watch. The thing I like about the show is that given it first aired in 1987, it brings up very deep, philosophical issues about human civilization and the future, that I do like to think about. I watch an episode and think, that's some heavy stuff, and I wonder if when the creators wrote the show they would think about how technology has positively and negatively impacted us as it has today.

Anyways, back to Patrick Stewart, if you browse the Internet at all, you've probably seen this image comparing Patrick Stewart's health with Lindsay Lohan's appearance. Whereas Lindsay Lohan has her own issues that I won't even go into, the man ages well, extremely well.  Frankly, with himself as evidence of great aging, I don't think I would like to take advice from anyone else.

It's funny that we living a society, where so much money is invested/spent on anti-aging and improving one's physical image. When it is all pretty simple - eat healthy, workout, get enough sleep, and drink enough water. Also add don't stress and do things that make you happy. Love yourself. That is all you need, but those simple words pack a lot of difficulty. Buying a moisturizer or going to a spa will make me feel better for the short term, but the problems will still exist.
(Source
I really wish that I was living as healthy as I think I am capable of living, but I am not.  My water intake is still pretty pathetic, and at least I am working out twice a week. Sleeping could improve; actually, everything could improve. I've made a few goals, and hopefully, I can use this month of February to develop some healthy habits. Going to Bikram Yoga this month (because I have a coupon); determined to read actual books not the iPad before bed to help me sleep; carrying a water bottle with me at all times (remember when that meant a whole different thing), and over course, eating vegan and fresh. In the past, I use to expect healthy changes to happen over night, but I realize it is going to take time, and it is okay to pace myself. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...