Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Plants Gone Wild


In my opinion, as there dog or cat people, there are plants or flowers people.  I am a plant person. Why plants? I personally cannot justify buying flowers regularly, granted they are BEAUTIFUL, but they die in about a week or two, and then you throw them out (or compost them, which I am sure everyone is doing), then you buy new ones, and the cycle repeats. Plants, on the other hand, are like less needy pets. Some regular watering, some fertilizer, slight grooming, then perfection!

Around the time I moved into my garden apartment, I bought three house plants from Home Depot that all managed to die within shortly after.  A few plant-less months go by, then last June, I decided to give plants a second shot, and  I went to the best place in Chicago to buy plants - Gethsemane Garden Center in Edgewater. Predicting another gardening failure, I bought more than I needed, especially given the space of my apartment. I figured my success rate would be 50% at best. Well, I was completely wrong, and those little plants have BLOWN UP. (Side note: Yay, Small-local business success!) My money tree is able 8-10 inches taller than when I first got it. Essentially, every plant has out grown its spot as well as its pot. 

Now, my current dilemma is how do I get my plants to work within the space. Right now, they are an interior design eye sore. I am foreseeing new pots, maybe an arrangement on a step ladder or entry-way table. However, I need a plan for it. I want to make this transition as efficient as possible. Inevitably, I will have to figure out what to do with the smaller plant pots - more plants!?! Ugh! My apartment look like Poison Ivy's in Batman (Uma Thurman, anyone?) So right now, I am in the planning phase. Trying to get more inspiration of how plants can work in the apartment, gathering what types of planters I like, and ensuring it all works with my other living space projects. 





No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...